Monday, January 16, 2012

On Location: Stuart Collection

One of my goals for 2012 was to be more active in photography. Not just taking self portraits and shooting my friends' when we drink. Those are all fun too, but I need to practice more than just portrait photography. One thing that is helping me are local photography Meet-ups. I have the opportunity to meet other photographers and practice my trade.

This meetup was to walk throughout the campus of UC San Diego in La Jolla. A beautiful campus with color, design, and significance. I wonder if all UCSD students appreciate the art surrounding them.

Fallen Star
The Fallen Star is one of the newer pieces, created by Do So Suh. We were able to meet the director of the Stuart Collection and brought us up the top of the Fallen Star and explained the importance and meaning of it. Being an immigrant coming to America, he felt as everything was disoriented to him. When you take a step into the house, you feel that disorientation. Looking out the window, seeing the view of the campus and library. It wasn't furnished yet. Very cool structure to visit it.
Geisel Library, Snake Path, Garden of Eden

The Library is a marvel on its own. The snake path and the significance amazes me. Leading toward the library is a snake path, tiled and curved like a snake, not like a traditional path. The idea of the library is Paradise. With the snake being the path toward Knowledge (library).
This kid was just hanging out, studying. The colors and his lounging was attractive to me.


Bear (2005) Tim Hawkinson

Dr. Suess

Trees (1986) Terry Allen

Snake Path (1982) Alexis Smith


Talking Tree

Titan

No comments: